Nothing beats a good night’s sleep when you’re out in nature. But let’s be honest – sleeping on the hard ground isn’t always the most comfortable, even in a sleeping bag. That’s why a camping cot with a mattress can be a total game-changer for your outdoor adventures.
Setting up your cot so it’s stable and letting you get some zzz’s can be tricky though. We’ve all tried to put together furniture with vague instructions, missing parts, and ended up scratching our heads. It doesn’t have to be that hard with a camping cot if you follow a few simple steps.
The key is making sure your cot is completely unfolded and the legs are locked so it doesn’t collapse when you lie down. Then place your mattress on top, centered and covering the whole area. Give it a test sit and bounce to check it’s steady and level. Voila, you’ve got a cozy cot ready for hanging out and sleeping under the stars.
Following the manufacturer’s specifics on assembly is always wise too. But the basics are pretty straightforward. Having a secure, comfy place to rest your head makes all the difference when camping. With a properly set up cot and mattress, you’ll be catching sweet dreams and waking up refreshed and ready for adventure. The outdoors awaits!
Step 1: Unfold the Camping Cot
The first step is getting your actual cot unfolded and expanded. Many cots come in a carrying case that condenses them down for travel.
- Remove the folded up cot from this carrying case. You’ll then see the cot frame connected together.
- Locate the release levers or buttons to unlock the frame and legs so they can extend. This varies by model but is usually a push button or sliding lock.
- Once released, unfold the frame and extend the legs out until they are at full length.
- Make sure the leg extensions are firmly locked in position before putting weight on the cot. Check your cot’s manual if you’re unsure.
Step 2: Lock the Legs in Place
With the frame expanded, the next crucial step is getting the legs fully locked and secured. This gives the cot stability and keeps it from collapsing when you lie down.
- Extend each leg out until it won’t extend further and is at full length. Legs often have buttons or locks to release for adjusting length.
- Look for the leg lock buttons or sliders and secure them in place. This locks the leg extensions at their current length.
- Give each leg a firm push or pull to confirm they are solidly locked and won’t shift length.
- Try sitting or putting pressure on the cot briefly to further check its stability. Adjust any loose legs.
- Make sure all leg locks are properly engaged. Loose legs can lead to a cot collapse, and no one wants that!
Step 3: Add Your Mattress
Now that you’ve got your cot frame erect and standing strong, it’s time to add a mattress for comfort.
- Most cots are made to fit a standard camping mattress size. If your cot came with a mattress, unfold it and place it on the frame.
- If using your own mattress, set it centered on the frame. It should fit snugly without gaps on any side.
- Foam mattress pads for camping cots should be about 3-4 inches thick. Air mattresses can work well too.
- Avoid mattresses that are wider than the cot’s frame, as this can lead to sagging and instability when lying on it.
- Make sure the mattress lays flat and expands to full thickness. Give it time to fully inflate if needed.
Step 4: Secure the Mattress in Place
You don’t want your mattress sliding around on the frame. The next step is to get it fastened securely in place.
- Many cots have Velcro straps on the frame to attach mattress edges and hold them stable.
- Use these Velcro straps to fasten the mattress to the frame on at least two sides. More straps can be used for a tighter hold.
- If your cot doesn’t have Velcro straps, you can still secure the mattress by tucking the edges under the cot’s side rails or cross-bars.
- Try sliding the mattress slightly lengthwise to fit it under an edge cross-bar while leaving flat head space.
- For air mattresses, partially inflate and center before fully inflating for a tight cot fit.
Step 5: Test It Out
With your cot and mattress set up, the last step is to test it out and make any needed tweaks.
- Gently press down on the mattress throughout to check for stability and evenness. Adjust if sagging.
- Sit and bounce lightly on the cot to confirm it feels solidly in place and the mattress fits snugly within the frame.
- Try lying down and rolling around as you normally would when sleeping to check comfort and support.
- If needed, re-center or smooth the mattress surface. Adjust leg heights for rocking or sagging.
- Do a final leg stability check, tightening locks or braces as needed before turning in for the night.
- Sweet dreams! Your cot and mattress are ready for a great night’s sleep under the stars.
Extra Tips for Cot and Mattress Setup
Beyond the basics, here are some additional tips for getting your camping sleep setup dialed in just right:
Check the ground surface – Set up your cot on flat, even ground without rocks or roots to avoid legs sinking or instability.
Point legs downhill – For sloped sites, face cot so your head points downhill. This keeps you lying level.
Clear space around cot – Leave adequate room around the sides for entering and exiting without tripping.
Use cot feet pads – Feet pads or boards under cot legs can prevent sinking into soft ground.
Bring extra bedding – Add sleeping bag, blanket, and pillow atop the mattress for cozy comfort.
Try a cot tent – For privacy and increased comfort, use a cot-sized tent that fits over your cot frame.
Adjust leg height – Some cots allow adjusting leg extensions for cot height and leveling on uneven ground.
Secure with tie downs – In windy conditions, use guy lines and stakes to further secure your cot in place.
Check leg joints – Examine joints between legs and frame for rust or damage that could lead to instability.
Enjoy a Restful Night in the Great Outdoors
Getting a camping cot and mattress set up properly is well worth that first blissful night sleeping under the stars. No more tossing and turning on the rough ground!
Just follow the basic steps of securely unfolding and extending the frame, attaching your comfy mattress snugly to the cot, and double checking for stability.
With your elevated cot and mattress ready, you can relax in backcountry comfort. Sleep comes easy with the crickets and owls serenading you in the distance.
Here’s to memorable camping trips with peaceful nights that recharge you for the next day of adventures! Where will you set up your cot and mattress next? The views and stargazing never looked so good.